When was the last photo exhibition you saw?

July 29, 2010 at 3:21 pm  •  Posted in Uncategorized by  •  9 Comments

In Canada, whether it’s a good year or a bad year, there are many great photo exhibitions to see. When was the last time that you saw one and what was it? And what did you think?

9 Comments

1. Terrance R Pack / August 3, 2010 at 12:44 am / Reply

This question can be answered easily here in Hamilton Ontario Canada. The last art exhibit I saw was the Bi-monthly artist Crawl on John St N here at home.This event gives all local artist and photographers a chance to showcase their own work.It takes place on a Friday evening all along one of our ehticly diverce neighbourhoods.Just imagine strolling up and down a street for blocks,stopping off at any number of the dozens of boutique galleries. You can also listen to all kinds of music from solo Opera to folk. All this for the outrageous of nothing.
    The next time you want to have a beautiful fridy evening come check out our Local Artist Art Crawl.

• John Quin / August 6, 2010 at 11:49 am / Reply

“House Calls with My Camera” currently on display at the Royal Ontario Museum. Dr Mark Nowaczynski’s portraits capture plight of his subjects, this combined with the accompanying descriptions make for a very powerful and emotive exhibit..

2. John Nielsen / August 3, 2010 at 2:04 pm / Reply

Our camera club recently made a field trip to the Karsh exhibit at the Winnipeg Art Gallery, where they attended a lecture and saw a wide assortment of his work. The members were very impressed. The power and technique of his work more than compensated for the fact that his images are sometimes deemed a little dated nowadays.

3. Lynn / October 2, 2010 at 4:23 pm / Reply

The Royal Alberta Provincial Museum is once again holding the Wildlife Photographer of the Year Exhibit. I attended last year after reading about it in Photo Life and looking forward to going again this year. Beautiful. And I like how they categorize the exhibit including even very young photographers and amatueur photographers. Gives us all hope! And you get to see pieces of all parts of the world.

4. Colin Mac Arthur / October 20, 2010 at 3:32 am / Reply

The last photographic exhibition that I saw, was my own one man exhibition at the New Westminster Art Gallery, earlier this year. It was successful and I had a lot of positive feedback. It was advertised, CAPA and PPABC put the word out and I emailed all of the local camera clubs, twice. Painters came and dancers and people from work, even some professional photographers, but where were the local amatuer photographers? I have judged at some of their clubs and done presentations but very few took to opportunity to view a fellow photographer’s work. The point is if you want to improve your own photography, get out and see exhibitions, compete in contests, get active.

5. Kim Reirson / October 26, 2010 at 7:42 pm / Reply

The last photography show I was earlier this month at the Vancouver Art Gallery and the work was by Robert Adams. All the photos are in black and white are were mostly taken in the United States: California and Colorado. I myself recently started studying black and white film photography in school and found this exhibition of work quite inspiring.

6. Paul Baker / November 2, 2010 at 1:08 am / Reply

The last exhibition I was at was on Oct 9th at Willowbrook Mall in Langley BC. The Langley Camera Club had an exhibition there with over 100 16″ x 20″ Prints – there was a great selection and featured both black & white and color prints. A very high quality and some very exciting images were shown.. I recommend looking into this club.

7. Ursula / December 2, 2010 at 1:26 am / Reply

artShots: a BC juried Exhibition of Photographic Art
    this is an exhibition that is now in it’s 5th year – the closing date is in October and the entries come from all over BC; this year, instead of prints, we asked for e-mailed entries and the number of entries went down! go figure. They were judged by 3 members of the photographic community.
    The top 40 photos were printed this year (with many thanks to Photo Expert’s donation) and exhibited at the Delta Arts Council’s Tsawwassen Arts Centre for the month of November;
    the top 13 are going to be sisplayed at Municipal Hall in Ladner for Dec – Feb, and the other ones are split between the North Delta Fire hall’s Plum Room and the Tsawwassen Arts Centre.

8. hagen / December 6, 2010 at 8:07 am / Reply

World Press Photo Awards at the War Museum in Ottawa.